Monday, September 9, 2013

Sardines in a Bus



Do you remember those old Dial Soap commercials that went something like, "Aren't you glad you use dial? Don't you wish everybody did?" They gave you the assurance that if you had used said soap product, that things would turn out okay for you, at least smell-wise. I often think of those old commercials when I ride the public transportation through town.

Currently, here in Prague, the public transit is undergoing a major overhaul. That means that the buses have taken place of the trams while the tracks are redone. Passengers now all have to ride the bus to get to the destination that they could formerly get to by tram. A couple of new buses have been added to take the burden of the passenger load, which helps, but it is very similar to how a squirt gun would help to put out a five alarm fire. That is, not much.

The other day, Tonya and I were waiting on the 119 bus to get home. As it pulled up, we noticed that everyone that was standing in front of us on the side walk was also getting on that bus. We noticed how crowded it was and decided to wait for the X26 bus that was coming right behind (The X26 was one of the aforementioned replacement buses). Somehow, if possible, this bus was MORE crowded. Nevertheless, we piled into the bus and headed for home. It was standing room only at this point.

As the bus came to its first stop, I hoped that a few people would step off. Instead, three more people hopped on, pushing us closer into the bus. I stepped up on a ledge that is right beside a seat to allow myself a little more room. This gave me a nice view of the crowd, and a break from the close quarters. It was only a temporary break, however.

At the next stop, a flood of passengers got on the bus. They pushed their way on, forcing everyone to crowd together. The bus was so full that the doors had trouble closing. Even after they closed, people pushed us all closer together still. I was pushed into the lap of an unsuspecting woman about my age. I looked at her and simply said, "Pardon" and shook my head in shame. She seemed to be okay with it, and we continued down the road uncomfortably close to everyone. I finally managed to get out of her lap, but this led me directly into the back of a much older, plus sized woman. So I was stuck between a lap and an awkward place. Thankfully, the bus ride was almost over.

When we came to a stop, I don't think I have ever been so happy to get out of a vehicle before. Between the reek of international funk (yes I am glad I use Dial) aboard the bus and the impromptu "Santa's Lap" moment, I was done with the public transit that day. Unfortunately, construction lasts another month.

Here is a picture I took while perched on the lap of a stranger:







No comments:

Post a Comment