Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Romeo and Juliet

It has been a while! We had the blessing of a full week of fall break. We took advantage of it! Here is a highlight.

We spent the week in Italy. I think one moment really stood out to me more than any other. Among all the beautiful locations, among the churches and weathered remains of castles, we met an old man as he was walking up a hill towards the Castle of St. Peter in Verona. He was walking slowly but purposefully. He was pumping his arms the way a soldier would as he marched in a parade, if the marching was done at an impossibly slow pace. As he spotted us sitting there catching our breaths from our long walk, he smiled and offered us a "bonjourno." We reciprocated, causing him to rattle off some indecipherable Italian. We smiled and offered our apologies, as we don't speak Italian. He gestured toward the window overhead and said what I am pretty sure amounted to "watch this" and then called out. He put his hand to his ear and then waited. After a moment, a woman came to the window and answered. They talked for a bit and then he walked to the door of the building and left us with an "arrividerci." It was like we had just watched Romeo call to his Juliet (after all we were in Verona). It was romantic and beautiful and the thought of having someone to answer your call at that age warmed our hearts.

Then I was reminded of the God who is always there to answer our call, even if we don't realize we are calling out to Him at the time. It is the peace that comes with that thought that confirms in me why I trust in Christ for salvation. He is both Romeo and Juliet. Calling to us to come to Him to free us from ourselves, and answering us when we realize this and call out to Him for that freedom. I am often amazed at the moments that God chooses to speak to me. I thought I was simply going on vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment