Saturday, November 23, 2013

Wanting the Unwanted

This past week we were able to gather together with our fellow teachers from all over Central Europe to celebrate Thanksgiving in a very small town about ninety minutes southeast of Prague. It was a great time to decompress from the tensions of teaching and being so far from home for the holiday. Typically when we do this type of thing, our group is the only one there and we have the run of the place. This time though, there was a group sharing our retreat center. It was a group called Hands of Hope and they were here with a group of about twenty-five or thirty orphans.

The kids arrived around 4pm on Friday and we knew instantly by the stark change in the volume level of the retreat center. We heard the high pitched sound of little voices bouncing off the walls. It is always adorable to hear little ones speak in a different language.

I got my first look at them at dinner that evening. They were various ages and sizes, and were all eager to get something to eat. I was instantly touched at the sight. So many little children that society does not want, yet they seemed so happy just to be there. I have always been amazed at the resiliency of the spirit of a child. As I watched them heap too much food on their plates, I was stricken with a heavy sadness as I thought to myself, "Why does no one want them?" It burdened me for the rest of the evening.

Later that night, Tonya and I were sitting in the lobby and a little boy walked in with a whistle. "Look," he said proudly, "I have a whistle." He proceeded to blow out an impossibly bad song. "Wow!" we said, being supportive. He smiled and ran away. It was one of the sweetest things I have ever seen.

As I got up this morning, a thought occurred to me. Someone does want them. Though they may never have an earthly mother or father, there is a Heavenly Father who wants to know them desperately and has not forgotten them. It gave me another reason to be thankful this holiday season. God, in his infinite wisdom, mercy, and love, did not leave me as an orphan, when I was fatherless in my sin. To Him be the glory.

As some of you know, Tonya and I have applied to adopt from China. We continue to wait patiently for God's perfect timing to be completed. I wish we had more news to share about that, but the wheels of bureaucracy turn slowly.

Lastly, I want to wish everyone back home a very Happy Thanksgiving! We love you and miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment